Idiom and Meanings

 

IDIOMS



1. The best of both worlds –
This means you can enjoy two different opportunities simultaneously.

“By working part-time and looking after her kids two days a week she managed to get the best of both worlds.”



idiom










2. Speak of the devil –

This means that the person you’re just talking about actually appears at that moment.

“Hi Tom, speak of the devil, I was just telling Sara about your new car.”


3. See eye to eye –

agreeing with someone.

“They finally saw eye to eye on the business deal.”


4. Once in a blue moon –

an event that happens infrequently.

“I only go to the cinema once in a blue moon.”


5. When pigs fly –

something that will never happen.

“When pigs fly she’ll tidy up her room.”


6. To cost an arm and a leg –

something is very expensive.

“Fuel these days costs an arm and a leg.”


7. A piece of cake –

something is very easy.

“The English test was a piece of cake.”


8. Let the cat out of the bag –

to accidentally reveal a secret.

“I let the cat out of the bag about their wedding plans.”


9. To feel under the weather –

to not feel well.

“I’m really feeling under the weather today; I have a terrible cold.”



10. To kill two birds with one stone –

to solve two problems at once.

“By taking my dad on holiday, I killed two birds with one stone. I got to go away but also spend time with him.”


11. To cut corners –

to do something poorly or cheaply.

“They really cut corners when they built this bathroom; the shower is leaking.”


12. To add insult to injury –

to make the situation worse.

“To add insult to injury the car drove off without stopping after knocking me off my bike.”


13. You can’t judge a book by its cover –

to not judge someone or something based solely on appearance.

“I thought this no-brand bread would be horrible; turns out you can’t judge a book by its cover.”


14. Break a leg –

means ‘good luck’ (often said to actors before they go on stage).


“Break a leg, Sam, I’m sure your performance will be great.”

Enjoy......

Post a Comment

0 Comments